Skip to main content

Traditional Homemade Strawberry Jam

My dad owns a farm in Northern Cebu.  On one of our conversations, he mentioned that he was giving away some of his fruit produce for free so that it won't rot on the farm.  This made me think that maybe he could preserve and sell them in the local market.  I was also thinking that maybe I can study how and perhaps add this to my line of cookies that I plan to market in the future.  When The Hutong opened a Strawberry Specials class, I didn't hesitate to join.

Traditional Homemade Strawberry Jam

Ingredients: (yields 4-6 cups of jam)
  • 2kg  strawberries, rinsed, hulled and cut into i-inch pieces (almost ripe strawberries)
  • 5 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice




Instructions:

1.   Put a small plate in the freezer.
The beginning
2.  Place berries and lemon juice in a non-reactive 10-litre pot set over medium-high heat.  Using a wooden spoon, mix in 1/4 cup sugar with berries.  Cook, stirring, until berries are juicy, approximately 5 to 6 minutes.  Stir in a third of remaining sugar until dissolved.  Repeat until all the sugar has been added and dissolved, about 7 minutes.
3.  Bring mixture to a full, rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.  Stirring constantly, boil until most of the liquid is absorbed, mixture thickens and temperature registers 105-degrees Celsius (220-degrees Fahrenheit) on a candy thermometer, about 30 minutes.  The mixture will spatter as it boils so be sure to wear oven mitts and an apron.  When the jam reaches the temperature, turn off the heat.
4.  Perform a gel test:  Place a spoonful of jam on chilled plate.  Wait 1 to 2 minutes and run your finger through the jam.  If the jam does not run back together, it is ready.  If it's still runny, boil it longer and perform the gel test again.
5.  Skim off and throw away any foam on top of the jam with a metal spoon.
6.  Pour warm jam into sterilized jars; seal, label and refrigerate up to 4 months

Starting to turn jelly & Gel Test

Hygiene and Safety Tips for Making Jam
  1. Thoroughly clean all surfaces and equipment before you begin.
  2. Thoroughly clean the fruit.
  3. Was the jars and lids in warm, soapy water and then sterilize the by either Boiling Water Method or Oven Method.
  4. Ladle hot jam into hot jars.
  5. If you heat process the filled jars, the jam can be kept at room temperature for around two years.
  6. If you do not heat process the filled jars, the jam must be stored in the refrigerator and used within three months.
  7. Exercise caution at all times as you are working with hot jam and hot jars.
My Jam Making Experience:

Boiling Water Method
I don't know what to expect with this class but everyone was excited to bring home their own strawberry jam.  We pour roughly 4 kg each of strawberries in two pots and lime juice.  Afterwards, the hard part begins. 
   
I had an arm workout while stirring the mixture.  I think I gave up after 5-10 minutes of stirring constantly and passed it to my classmate.  The initial stage when the strawberries are still in chunks was hard stirring.  Once it turns juicy, it's smoother stirring.  Once it slowly turns to jam, it's hard stirring again.  We took turns stirring until the mixture was ready for ladling.  Using an electric mixer is not doable as the pot turns really hot.  

Do I want to do it again?  I'll put it in my reserve list as I'm not really a jam person.  However, I think there's a market for jams and jellies so maybe when I'm ready to retire will I do it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breakfast Egg Cups Recipe

With only 30 minutes of lunch break, going out to grab something to eat is not possible.  What's breakfast egg cups got to do with lunch?  Well.. last week, there were a couple of days that I didn't had time to bring leftovers for lunch.  I had these breakfast egg cups made on a Sunday at the fridge in the office and we only had cooked rice left, so I brought some rice and ate a couple of the egg cups for my instant lunch!  Make ahead meals are becoming a norm now especially for people who like to eat something healthy and save some money.  I've had a hand making overnight oats but I didn't like the taste.  I've been chopping some red, yellow and orange bell peppers for snacks.  I'm trying to expand my repertoire of food that I can make ahead and edible. In my search for recipes online to try, I have adapted a recipe from Healthy Idea for Kids on their breakfast egg cups.  I used my favorite veggies and bake away! BREAKFAST EGG CUPS Makes 12 egg cup

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip

After attending my cookie class and saw how easy it was to make cookies, I searched for recipes online to experiment on.  Initially, I was planning on recreating my cousin's white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies but ended up with a chocolate chip cookie due to the cost of macadamia nuts. I have baked this cookie several times with different results each time.  The only thing that is consistent is the soft and chewy texture in the middle and the slightly crunchy texture in the edges.  It's one of the most requested items by my friends during parties. Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients:  (yield 24 medium-sized cookies) 2/3 cup butter (151g) 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1-2/3 cup all purposed flour 1/4 tsp salt 1 tsp baking soda 6 ounces chocolate chip (I just pour whatever amount I want)

Jalapeño and Cilantro Sauce

Two weeks ago, our department hosted a potluck burrito bar.  My colleague, who's Mexican-American, is famous for her sauces.  She made several types of sauce for this event, the cilantro jalapeno sauce, members only sauce and a burrito sauce.  Of the three sauces, the cilantro jalapeno sauce caught my eye due to it's lime green color.  It has a mild jalapeno kick and a rich cilantro goodness.  A lot of people asked for the recipe and she graciously shared it with us.  She mentioned getting the recipe from the America's Test Kitchen show. Jalapeño and Cilantro Sauce Ingredients:  (makes 1 cup) 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves , and stems, trimmed and chopped coarse 3 jalapeño chiles , stemmed, seeded, and minced ½ cup mayonnaise 1 tablespoon lime juice 2 garlic cloves , minced ½ teaspoon kosher salt 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil