Skip to main content

Breakfast Egg Cups Recipe

With only 30 minutes of lunch break, going out to grab something to eat is not possible.  What's breakfast egg cups got to do with lunch?  Well.. last week, there were a couple of days that I didn't had time to bring leftovers for lunch.  I had these breakfast egg cups made on a Sunday at the fridge in the office and we only had cooked rice left, so I brought some rice and ate a couple of the egg cups for my instant lunch! 

Make ahead meals are becoming a norm now especially for people who like to eat something healthy and save some money.  I've had a hand making overnight oats but I didn't like the taste.  I've been chopping some red, yellow and orange bell peppers for snacks.  I'm trying to expand my repertoire of food that I can make ahead and edible.

In my search for recipes online to try, I have adapted a recipe from Healthy Idea for Kids on their breakfast egg cups.  I used my favorite veggies and bake away!

BREAKFAST EGG CUPS

Makes 12 egg cups

Ingredients:
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 5 mini sweet bell pepper, red
  • 4 shiitake mushroom
  • 1 ounce, your favorite cheese 
Instructions:
  1. Grease a muffin tin and set aside.  Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
  2. Whisk the eggs and milk together in a bowl.  Seasoned with salt and pepper.
  3. Dice the bell pepper and mushroom into small cubes.  If you wish to add leafy vegetables like spinach, stack the spinach leaves, roll them up, and slice them thin. (This method is called chiffonade.)
  4. Add the vegetable and shredded cheese to the egg mixture.
  5. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes until centers are set and no longer runny.
  6. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Notes:  

I used almond milk since I'm lactose intolerant.  It really is up to you which one to use.  For the salt and black pepper, I just eyeballed it instead of using a measuring spoon.  For the cheese, the original recipe called for cheddar but I'm not really a fan of it so I used mozarella or parmesan.

Extras may be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to a month. Microwave thawed egg cups on high for 45-60 seconds or until hot.

You can change whichever vegetables you want.  You can use tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, spinach.  You can also add ham bits or bacon bits if you want some meat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip

After attending my cookie class and saw how easy it was to make cookies, I searched for recipes online to experiment on.  Initially, I was planning on recreating my cousin's white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies but ended up with a chocolate chip cookie due to the cost of macadamia nuts. I have baked this cookie several times with different results each time.  The only thing that is consistent is the soft and chewy texture in the middle and the slightly crunchy texture in the edges.  It's one of the most requested items by my friends during parties. Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients:  (yield 24 medium-sized cookies) 2/3 cup butter (151g) 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1-2/3 cup all purposed flour 1/4 tsp salt 1 tsp baking soda 6 ounces chocolate chip (I just pour whatever amount I want)

Jalapeño and Cilantro Sauce

Two weeks ago, our department hosted a potluck burrito bar.  My colleague, who's Mexican-American, is famous for her sauces.  She made several types of sauce for this event, the cilantro jalapeno sauce, members only sauce and a burrito sauce.  Of the three sauces, the cilantro jalapeno sauce caught my eye due to it's lime green color.  It has a mild jalapeno kick and a rich cilantro goodness.  A lot of people asked for the recipe and she graciously shared it with us.  She mentioned getting the recipe from the America's Test Kitchen show. Jalapeño and Cilantro Sauce Ingredients:  (makes 1 cup) 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves , and stems, trimmed and chopped coarse 3 jalapeño chiles , stemmed, seeded, and minced ½ cup mayonnaise 1 tablespoon lime juice 2 garlic cloves , minced ½ teaspoon kosher salt 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil